We Unlock our Historic Cellars for Purchases Online
August 14, 2014
Demand pries open a trove of maturing vintages
The happy reception given to the Winery's opening, this July, of Library 1821 for weekend visitors to taste and purchase distinguished previous vintages, ranging from Viognier Reserve and Malvaxia Passito in the whites, to our Bordeaux varietals and Nebbiolo Reserve in the reds, has sparked a very positive appreciation of wines we have cellared here under optimum conditions. Now a fine selection from the extensive List at Library 1821 is available every day of the week in our Wine Shop, presenting many of the most honored wines in our history in 750 ml, magnum, or double-magnum formats.
This approach to collecting our wines, while not as adventurous as marrying for them or as poignant as inheriting them, offers timeliness, convenience, and reliability of storage provenance. The Gold Medal honors and critical acclaim for these wines can now be placed in the perspective of evolution in bottle through the years, as in examples listed here. In turn, these wines afford abundant encouragement to acquire current vintages with confidence in their investment value. For availability and price in each varietal, please refer to the wine's own page in our Wine Shop. It is a great pleasure to share these treasures of our history, and of Virginia winegrowing with you.
- Nebbiolo Reserve 2009, Gold Medal at Monticello Cup Competition and Critics Challenge Competition in California
- Nebbiolo Reserve 2005, Gold Medal at San Francisco International Wine Competition, the only Nebbiolo to be so honored that year
- Nebbiolo Reserve 1998, Gold Medal at Virginia Winegrowers competition and San Francisco International Wine Competition, the only Nebbiolo to be so honored that year, also
- Cabernet Franc Reserve 2008, Gold Medal at Winemakers Challenge, California, and Best in Class, San Francisco Chronicle competition
- Cabernet Franc Reserve 2007, Beverage Testing Institute (Chicago) Gold Medal and Double-Gold Medal, Monticello Cup competition
- Cabernet Franc Reserve 2006, Gold Medal at Critics Challenge in California, Monticello Cup Competition, and Town Point Virginia competition
- Octagon 2007, Beverage Testing Institute (Chicago) Best Bordeaux Blend, Virginia Winegrowers Best Bordeaux Blend, Gold Medal at Sommeliers Challenge in California and at Monticello Cup competition
- Octagon 2005, Beverage Testing Institute (Chicago) Best Red Wine, Double-Gold at International Eastern Wine Competition, Gold Medal Virginia State Fair and Tasters Guild
- Octagon 2001, Gold Medal Virginia State Fair, Monticello Cup competition, Town Point Virginia, Tasters Guild, Virginia Winegrowers Best in Show, Double-Gold at International Eastern Wine Competition
April 23, 2014
November 13, 2014